Introduction to Service and Menu Development 1296
Allergen Menu Development Assignment
(Worth 25% of Final Grade)
To create your own original three-course menu. Each course needs to be paired with a specific wine. Each wine used for pairing needs to include the producer, wine style and vintage.
This menu will need to accommodate a customer with specific dietary needs.
Individually create a personal 3-course menu that includes:
1. The menu must have the following courses:
Appetizer (Soup, Salad, Hot or cold appetizer)
Dessert or cheese
2. Each menu item should display a completed balanced dish as discussed in class, with varying -textures and flavours.
3. The style of menu should be written, and designed, in a way that best suits that type of restaurant establishment.
4. Professional presentation of the menu is as important as your menu balance (colours, textures, flavours and techniques) Use of culinary terminology, cooking techniques, and descriptive wording is expected.
5. Each menu item must be paired with a specific wine in the correct progression according to the weight and style of the beverage. The wine needs to the producer, wine style and vintage year.
6. This menu needs to accommodate a person with a specific allergy. You need to provide two items within the menu where you need to substitute an element of the dish that has the specific allergen (see below) for another element that does not. This
substitution should not alter the original dish, but provide the necessary accommodation for the guest to have the same eating experience as everyone else.
7. The allergen may be any of the following:
a. Wheat and Triticale
b. Tree Nuts
Include an essay style write up, in 800 – 1200 words explaining:
1. What inspired this menu? Explain the dishes and what prompted you to create this menu. Why have you chosen this style of cuisine? Perhaps your family heritage is your inspiration, or somewhere you have traveled.
2. Describe the rational for pairing your beverage to each course. Include how you selected wine based on progression of menu. Identify weight of wine to weight of food comparison, acidity, sweetness and tannin interaction if valid. List affinities between wine and food. You need to support your rational with providing a principle-pairing rule.
3. Describe the surprising facts you found when researching the allergen and list them.
4. Identify and substitute two ingredients within the menu that contain the listed food allergens above. Substitution should preserve the main essence of the dish.
5. What challenges may arise when creating a menu for this specific type of allergen?
6. Where did you find this allergen information? Were any other restaurants or chefs inspirational to you?
– Understand the allergen and the menu style you are creating.
– Get creative and display your culinary style and cuisine inspirations.
– Remember that the menu is a marketing and communication tool for the front of house and reflects the reputation and standards of a restaurant.
– Check for spelling and grammar!!
– Be sure the menu and essay are professionally written and check the marking rubric on Blackboard for the grading of your final menu and essay submission.
– Late Submission is 10% a day after scheduled deadline
Please note: you are submitting a professional menu with wine pairings (Step 1), as well as the essay (step 2) when submitting your assessment.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.